Secret Santa is probably one of the most played games during the eve of Christmas.
As this is completely a fun-filled game, clues are mandatory to kindle the attention of participants.
So, how do you create such clues?
We have developed a collection of examples of such clues that you can use to play the secret Santa game.
Generic Secret Santa Clues
Clues need not always lead to the answer. They can even arouse the emotion and encourage the person to involve further.
Some clues prolong the game and keep the player occupied with them for some time.
Here are a few generic secret Santa clues that you can use to your friends and family. These are simple and interesting to crack.
If you are playing it inside your house, allow the person to experience a treasure hunt and find out the gift.
As the gift is identified, let the person also find his or her secret Santa. Sometimes, gifts indicate the person who has gifted.
For example, your friend would have shared with you that he needs a bicycle and you would have gifted it. This makes it easy to guess.
Some more templates that you can use to play scavenger hunt on the eve of Christmas are right here.
Printable Secret Santa Clues
So, how can one find secret Santa?
You can provide clues in the form of sayings or poems or a riddle.
Some people also prefer providing a small gift that can lead to a bigger one. It is a wise idea to attach a clue to the gift so the person can guess it out.
It is absolutely fun to crack riddles and find the answer. The key is to avoid being very specific about the clue.
This will allow the person to enjoy to the fullest. Some more templates of riddles are right here.
When you create a clue, make sure that you pay attention to the following points.
- Give a hint related to your relationship with the receiver
- When you give a clue, feel yourself in the shoes of the receiver. Some people prefer adding gender and the first initial to the riddle so it gets easier to identify. For example, your clue can be like this – Santa and I have the same hair color but I do not wear specs!
- Never provide tough clues that cannot be cracked. This can discourage the receiver from participating in the secret Santa game.
- Make it even personal. Instead of writing the clue as ‘I dropped the gift at your workstation earlier as we belong to different shifts’, you can write it as ‘We work in different shifts but we share the same workstation’. This is interesting and the person can quickly guess your identity. Clues need not always have to be in the printed version. You can also experiment with the handwritten version!
- Add some pun and create a festive mood in the clue. For instance, you can purchase a gift card meant for Christmas and then write your riddle there. This will let the receiver know that you have gifted on the occasion of Christmas and it is a special one.
- You can also let your gift be a clue. Look at the last template. The small house presented is to denote that the househunting of the receiver will result in successful outcomes. This allows the receiver to guess a part of the answer. If the person has shared the matter to you, he or she can find it out easily.
Your clues can also be in the form of letters. Write out your personal experience with the receiver and recall one such situation.
Indicate clues that will allow the person to relate to the situation and recall what happened. This is damn easy and thrilling too.
Some people prefer gifting after the receiver finds the answer to the riddle.
Some attach the clue with the gift.
It is entirely up to you!
Some mistakes that you should avoid are right here.
- Do not use rude words or never recall a worse situation that the receiver encounter in his/her life.
- Never forget to create a festive mood with your gift. Else, the purpose of secret Santa is unresolved.
- Give as many chances as possible to the receiver to find out who the secret Santa is. Never be strict on your terms and conditions in this game.
Gifts are a part of Christmas and clues are a part of gifts. They are interrelated!
This article includes as many printable templates containing secret Santa clues that you can directly use or treat as an inspiration for a new clue that you are about to create.
Never lose a chance to add that extra fun to your special occasion!